Who Is Responsible In a Crosswalk Accident?
Crosswalks are where an unfortunately high number of car accident-related injuries occur every year in the United States. According to 2019 crash statistics from the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, 18% of the 6,205 pedestrian fatalities in that year occurred at intersections.
Andrew Traub, a veteran personal injury lawyer, knows how best to navigate crosswalk accident cases to secure rightful compensation from the responsible parties, thereby ensuring that victims can receive all necessary treatments for their injuries.
Our team has been advocating for crosswalk accident victims for over 19 years.
If you have been injured in a crosswalk accident, contact The Traub Law Office today to receive a FREE consultation with a skilled crosswalk accident attorney.
Common Causes of Crosswalk Accidents
Crosswalk accidents can occur due to negligence on the part of vehicle drivers and pedestrians alike, which is why retaining an attorney seasoned in proving negligence is key to winning a crosswalk accident case.
Some of the most common causes of crosswalk accidents include:
- Driving while distracted by electronics, passengers, food, etc.
- Driving while intoxicated with alcohol or drugs
- Driving while texting
- Drivers failing to look both ways before entering the crosswalk
- Failing to obey traffic laws & signals as a driver or pedestrian
Safety Tips to Prevent Crosswalk Accidents
As with any car or truck accident, prevention is key. Follow these safety tips to lower the risk of being involved in a crosswalk accident:
One important thing to understand right now is that the jury never finds out that the person who hit you has insurance. Like terrorists hide behind civilians, so too do insurance companies hide behind their customer. So if you have to go to trial, the jury doesn’t know that a multi-billion dollar company is paying any award.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing
- Take caution at night, when most pedestrian accidents occur
- Increase your visibility by using your phone’s flashlight feature
- Obey traffic signals and the walk/wait crosswalk indicator
- Avoid alcohol and drug use when walking
- Slow down — speeding is a major factor in pedestrian deaths
- Stay alert and focused — do not drive distracted or drowsy
- Obey traffic laws and signs
- Look for pedestrians & bicyclists before entering a crosswalk
- Use caution at night, when most pedestrian accidents occur
- Do not drive while intoxicated with alcohol or drugs
What Should You Do After a Crosswalk Accident?
Pedestrians are required to follow traffic laws, just as drivers are. If they fail to do so, they may be held liable in the event of an accident. For example, if a pedestrian is involved in a crosswalk accident, but did not enter the crosswalk when the crosswalk sign was illuminated, they may be held partially liable.
If you are involved in a crosswalk accident, it’s important to collect as much evidence from the scene as possible, so you can defend yourself and establish the liability of the at-fault party. Use this checklist to begin documenting your case:
- Call 911 if anyone is injured at the scene.
- Request a police report for documentation purposes, whether or not anyone is injured.
- Photograph conditions at the scene, such as inclement weather conditions and hazardous road conditions.
- Photograph injuries and property damage, safety permitting.
- Photograph identifying documents from all involved parties, such as driver’s licenses and insurance cards.
- Gather contact information of all involved parties, as well as any witnesses that are willing to help.
- Don’t admit liability or offer too much information at the scene.
- Obtain a medical evaluation as soon as possible after the accident.
- Consult a crosswalk accident attorney as quickly as you can after the accident.
A personal injury accident lawyer can use the evidence you gather at the scene to reconstruct the accident and establish the responsible party’s liability, thereby increasing the likelihood you will receive full compensation for your injuries.
Trust Attorney Andrew Traub with Your Crosswalk Accident Case
Our team of skilled professionals can help you navigate your injury case. We have the experience and resources necessary to build the strongest case possible. Our aim is always to fight for the maximum compensation allowable for our clients.
Get in touch with the highly qualified personal injury attorneys at The Traub Law Office today to begin discussing your case. We also help families of wrongful death victims from crosswalk accidents.
The crosswalk accident attorneys at The Traub Law Office proudly serve Texas and beyond, with our primary office in Austin.
Fill out the form for a FREE, no-obligation consultation! You will not pay any legal fees unless we win your case. Contact us today.