Austin Accident Lawyer

Traub law office logo image
(512) 246-9191

We Right Wrongs

What is Personal Injury Protection?

Claiming PIP

PIP is an extension of car insurance available in Texas which covers medical expenses and, in some cases, lost wages and other damages. Personal Injury Protection or PIP is an insurance coverage for medical and other expenses resulting from an automobile accident, for people specified in the policy, regardless of who is at fault in the accident.  PIP usually covers the medical, hospital and funeral expenses of the insured, others in his vehicle and pedestrians struck by him.

The fact that blame does not have to be confirmed saves time and therefore allows medical payments to get into the pockets of the injured parties as soon as possible. It saves everybody from the cost of lawsuits being filed so that responsibility can be proved for an accident and therefore who has responsibility for the bills.

The person named in the policy as the “named insured,” and residents of the named insured’s household related by blood, marriage or adoption, step or foster children are covered for injuries incurred in an accident.  Also passengers or pedestrians are covered.  These people will be eligible for payments no matter who is at fault in the accident.

PIP covers reasonable and necessary medical expenses for injuries sustained in an automobile accident, and the amount varies from policy to policy.  Payments are made for costs that are actually incurred by the injured person.  If you carry PIP on your automobile it applies to all autos you insure, and companies charge a premium for every auto.

PIP does not cover injuries caused by using farm equipment, recreational or off road vehicles, mopeds or motor cycles (PIP coverage is available on motorcycle policies).  It will not cover intentional injuries to the insured person or if the person is injured in organized racing activities or committing a felony.


If you were involved in an accident in Texas, we'll be happy to mail it to you (together with a host of other free stuff.) You can either email us, call us at (512) 343-2572, or fill in the form at right.


Back To Top